Sunday, September 30, 2012

Recipe: Cornbread Chili Bake

I'm always on the lookout for a quick 'n easy crowd pleasers and if the reception of this new recipe at my community group on Sunday night is anything to go by, then this is a new favorite!  It's perfect for rainy fall football days, too!

Yesterday I was a Trader Joe's which is so fun, but because everything is so fun, I end up spending twice as much there as I do at Kroger's.  For almost twice as much food, so that's good.  But then, the food itself is so good that I tend to eat it twice as fast.  Not good.  Anyway, I grabbed one of the samples they had and it was really good.  Like do a double take and wander back to figure out exactly what it is good.  And lo and behold, only 3 ingredients.  Welcome to my recipe book yummy new easy (and cheap!) pot-luck recipe.

So without further ado: Cornbread Chile Bake

3 cans of chili (they used Vegetarian at TJ's, I picked up their turkey chili for mine)
1 Pub Cheese (hmm...Publix cheese?  Are you sending me to a different store?  I have no idea what this is?  Oh, it's a kind of cheese sold at TJ's.  Basically, it's what we called "spready cheese" growing up in my house.  I think you'd be fine to substitute about 1 c of shredded cheese).
1 Package of TJ Cornbread Mix (or another brand is also probably fine.

Dump 3 cans of chili in 9 x 13 pan.  (Don't you love this recipe already?)  In separate bowl, follow directions to make cornbread batter (TJ's calls for egg, milk, and oil).  Add cheese to cornbread batter.  Mix it up.  Spread cheesy cornbread batter over chili.  Stick it in the over for 30 minutes at 350.  You're done.

How.
Easy.
Was.
That.

And it's so good.  Like so good that about 6 people asked for the recipe right off the bat.  And so good that I myself was kind of surprised when I took a bite.  And so good that I was kind of ticked that everybody ate it all because that would have been awfully nice as leftovers this week.  Fortunately, the few ingredients meant that the total cost of the meal came in around $10.  Definitely doable.

Twists:  At TJ's they used the pub cheese with jalapenos.  It was just a twinge spicy for me, so I bought plain sharp cheddar.  But feel free to mix it up with spices.  I also thought about adding more veggies to the chili or something else to the cornbread (corn? rotel?).  Definitely share if you come up with a fun twist on this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment