Sunday, April 29, 2012

Things I Love About ASF (I know...again)

In case you weren't already sick of me braggin' on my church, here's more awesome things about All Souls Fellowship in Decatur, GA.  There are things I don't love as much about my church, but this is just about the stuff that makes me excited and thankful to be a part of this community.  I don't want to give the impression that it's hunky dory all the time, though, we certainly have our issues as well (cuz I'm sure I was fooling you after all those perfect church experiences you've had, too).

Thing 1- Infant and Believer baptisms today!  I love infant baptism.  I love what it represents and I love being part of a community that is concerned with everyone working together to bring these sweet covenant children up in the nurture and admonition of the faith.  But today we had believer's baptism too (you know, when they're all grown up and make the decision for themselves).  It was awesome.  I totally cried. To see a young man in college come up before his peers (and total strangers like me who are still gonna weep) was something very special to be a part of.  And that he'll remember, he'll always remember when the water was poured on his head (and trickled down the light blue button-up polo) is such a precious gift to him (you know, in addition to all the good baptism-y stuff).

Thing 2- We had a Turkish pastor as a guest for the sermon today.  And I'm praising God that He brought a great message to us.  I'm also praising God that He so does not need us to accomplish His work in the nations - He's got this in the bag!  Our pastor friend today is one of 2000 protestants in his country.  He came to faith from the Koran + Jean Valjean + Little House on the Prairie episodes.  Once again, God totally doesn't need us to gather the nations.  However, I remain incredibly grateful that in His great mercy He allows us to be His servants in this endeavor.  What a great God to allow us to participate in the work and share in the JOY of bringing Good News to the nations!

Thing 3- Intinction.  "nuff said.

Thing 4- During our "intermission/coffee break/passing of the peace" time, they usually play a combo of Mumford & Sons and Indigo Girls.  Seriously.  How many churches do that?  Love it!

Thing 5- Each year ASF hosts a volunteer appreciation night for...well, the name should give away who they host it for. Tonight, it was dessert and wine (which we totally drink in our sanctuary/fellowship hall combo space) and a private concert from Over the Rhine (check them out on Spotify, Pandora, itunes).  It was the first I'd heard them as I only managed to actually listen to one song on Spotify before going (and they didn't play it).  But they were awesome.  Super thankful for this special treat.

OK, now you brag on your church?  Why do you love your church community!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment