Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Learn Something New: Knitting Project

Every year I try to learn a new skill (for all of two years in a row now).  Two years ago it was knitting. Last year is was gardening (posts still to come on that).  And this year is TBD (two options, just trying to narrow it down - one is more expensive and one is more absolutely terrifying).  In addition to learning a new skill, I also try to brush up on the previous ones.  One of my goals this year was to try some new knitting projects because I really could just endlessly knit scarves (why do something new where you actually have to pay attention to the knitting project instead of Castle?).  Anyway, a good friend commissioned a tea cosy from me and it seemed like the perfect opportunity for a new knitting project!!

First I researched all kinds of tea cosies to see how hard they were to make and what kinds I could reasonably do.  Ravelry.com was very helpful in this regard.  Next, I asked my friend to tell me what kind of tea cosy she wanted (Harry Potter themed).  And then we looked together at the pot and determined how we could combine what she wanted with what I could reasonably do.  

Then, I consulted an experienced knitter about designing my own pattern for this (new thing!) and then I learned how to add and drop stitches to create a rounded effect to expand and contract along the edge of the tea pot (new thing!) and THEN I learned how to stripe my yarn (so many new things!).  I had to do all kinds of measurements and then create a test patch and then wash it so that it would felt (shrink up and get really tight) and then convert that into how many stitches I would need in each row.  This involved math which I try to avoid outside of work (because in case I haven't mentioned it, my job involves so much math that nobody told me about beforehand so I use up my math quota at work and have none left for real life) but I was getting paid for this so I guess it safely falls under the "work" label.  

I knitted and knitted (all of the above took like two months to get together - maybe because I couldn't watch Castle while I was doing it - so blogging isn't the only thing I'm slack at) and then found some Harry Potter-esque buttons and voila - this is the result!!

I think Hermione and the members of SPEW would be proud. :)


2 comments:

  1. Looks great Jen! So this is totally the time when I get to see the person I taught surpassing me in the skill I taught her. Ha ha! I guess it's fairly common. I just don't usually hang around long enough to see the effect. :) Well done. -Jenica

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you should put up both options of what you are considering and let us vote what you should do! i need to pick a new skill to learn, i'm thinking learn to play the cello.

    ReplyDelete